Salads! Salads! Salads! Am going to post some simple, quick, filling yet delicious salads in the coming weeks. Am going to start with my all time favourite Desi salad, i.e the Indian Chickpeas. I love the tanginess of the lime, crunchiness of the onion, sourness of the tomato & finally the chickpeas which helps in combining all these flavours to make your salad absolutely delicious. So let's bring on Summer with some yummy refreshing salads!!
- 1 x 400g can of chickpeas
- 1 green chilli (finely chopped)
- 1 clove of garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 medium tomato (roughly chopped)
- 1 medium red onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cucumber (cut into batons)
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- 8-10 baby spinach leaves (washed, if necessary chopped)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper to season
- Heat the oil in a non stick pan & add the cumin seeds, garlic & green chillies.
- Now add the canned chick peas to the pan & toss for a minute. If you want, you can soak raw chickpeas overnight & boil it before making the salad. Its a time consuming process, so better use the tinned chickpeas.
- Add the tomatoes to the chickpeas & toss for 30 seconds. Switch off the heat.
- Pour 1 tbsp of lemon juice over the chickpea salad.
- Add the chopped onions, cucumber batons & coriander leaves to the chick pea salad & toss once more.
- Pour the remaining lemon juice & season with salt & pepper. Serve immediately.